Annual Squirrel Box Derby
May 24-25, 2014
Our 8th Annual Squirrel Box Derby is a favorite event of the White Squirrel Festival. This gravity race is the only legal opportunity in Brevard to try to break the speed limit down Jailhouse Hill! All vehicles are hand-built, designed for speed, and decorated creatively. Contestants compete for trophies for the fastest trip down the hill, and the nuttiest design. In addition, the corporate and business class competes to win the overall Golden Nut Trophy, which combines speed and design.
Come watch the thrills down Jailhouse Hill!
2014 Race Schedule
The Derby takes place during the White Squirrel Festival.
Saturday – May 24: Ages 8-11 years and Ages 12-17 years
9:00am-10:00am Registration/Inspection – Participant Set-up (8-11 years, 12-17 years)
9:00am-9:45am Memorial Day Parade
10:00am-10:30am Line-up display/judging
10:00am-11:00am Memorial Presentation of the Wreath
11:00am-12:30pm Trial Runs
12:30pm-1:30pm Lunch Break
5:45pm Awards Ceremony (Music Stage - West Main Street)
Sunday – May 25: Ages 18+ years and Businesses
10:00am-11:00am Registration/Inspection – Participant Set-up (18+ years and Businesses)
11:00am-11:30am Line-up display/Judging
11:30am-12:30pm Trial Runs
12:30pm-1:30pm Lunch Break
5:45pm Awards Ceremony (Music Stage – West Main Street)
Parking and Registration Information
Details coming soon.
For more information call Heart of Brevard 828.884.3278
In order to continue to keep safety our #1 priority, here are some guidelines, as you begin designing your entry for May 2014:
- Braking System: must affect a minimum of 2 of the 4 wheels that are on the ground. We do not recommend that you have two independent brake “pedals” for the primary system. The dominant hand/foot may cause the vehicle to start spinning. *We strongly encourage having a back-up breaking system.
- Steering System: must affect 2 of the 4 wheels that are on the ground. Try to design to prevent over-steering that can lead to flipping over.
- To protect the head and/or prevent falling out: a DOT-approved helmet is MANDATORY. We HIGHLY RECOMMEND a roll bar/cage or designing the back of the kart so that it is higher than the driver’s head (in case the kart flips). We REQUIRE a safety belt/restraint.
- Towing Capacity: we are REQUIRING that you include towing hooks (eye screws) both at the back and front ends for towing up Jailhouse Hill.
- The propulsion of the derby car is solely driven by gravity. Spring-loaded and shifting, or artificial starting devices are not allowed.
- Driver cannot have contact with the ground or wheels from inside the derby car.
Other Entry Requirements:
- Overall footprint dimensions cannot exceed 32 square feet.
- Wheel base needs to be wider than the height of the vehicle body. *This does not include lightweight safety apparatus (i.e. roll bar, windshield.
- Total maximum weight (driver & vehicle): 250 lbs. (ages 8-11), 350 lbs. (ages 12 and above).
- Hand-built and must incorporate some form of bodywork.
Besides the mandatory DOT-approved helmet, we REQUIRE that drivers wear gloves, long-sleeved shirts/jackets, long pants, and closed-toe shoes. We encourage children and youth to wear elbow pads, as well. Major road burn can be avoided with proper clothing.
(Standard derby kit cars will need modification to meet our safety standards. We encourage you to create your own design).
Don’t forget those creative designs for the nuttiest category!
NO ALTERATIONS/ADDITIONS/DELETIONS CAN BE MADE TO THE VEHICLE ONCE IT PASSES INSPECTION (EXCEPTIONS FOR SAFETY WILL HAVE TO BE CLEARED WITH THE EMERGENCY SAFETY DIRECTOR AND HEART OF BREVARD EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR).
For more information…(pdf documents):